Request a Donation
Each year, we contribute to hundreds of local organizations to help with their fundraising initiatives, or to offer free or reduced admissions qualifying individuals. For instructions to apply for admission passes for your group, event, or cause, please refer to our community giving guidelines.
Charitable Giving Policy for the Dayton Society of Natural History
The Dayton Society of Natural History is honored to be able to provide southwestern Ohio with hands-on learning opportunities both at the Museum and in the community. In order to best serve our community and provide unique, educational experiences to people we are happy to accept donations requests for a complimentary Membership from non-profit organizations who meet the guidelines listed below.
Please note: Guidelines may have changed from the last time you submitted a request. Before you fill out this form, please read through the criteria below to see if your organization qualifies.
- Requesting party must be a 501(c)(3) non profit organization. Said party must provide their Federal Tax ID Number to be considered. Not sure if you are a 501(c)(3) non profit organization recognized by the IRS? Click here to check.
- If the requesting party is NOT the same as the organization benefiting from the donation (ie: one non-profit organization hosting a fundraiser to benefit another), this relationship must be made clear in the initial ask. In general, the request should be made by the organization that will benefit from the donation, and both must be 501(c)(3) organizations.
- We are unable to grant monetary donations. All donations will be in the form of complimentary Membership.
- We are unable to grant requests for religious purposes/organizations, professional development, seminars/conferences, pageants, political purposes, sports, band boosters, school/family/alumni reunions, PTOs, government institutions, private or public schools, employee recognition, individuals/families, private fundraiser not affiliated with a 501(c)3 non-profit, or any non-charitable event/organization etc. If you are a school and are interested in visiting as a group, please click here for more information about our group rates.
- All requests must be submitted online. Requests that are emailed, faxed, phoned or mailed will not be considered.
- Requests must be submitted at least 8 weeks prior to the event taking place.
- Only one request per calendar year per organization will be considered.
- Once approved, an email will be sent to arrange pick up from one of our locations. No donations will be mailed.
- Priority will be given to local organizations in Montgomery, Miami, Clark, Greene, Darke, Preble, Butler and Warren counties. We may also consider organizations in outside counties who serve communities and constituents in said counties. Please note this when filling out your request.
- Priority will be given to those organizations who have previously booked rentals, group visits, field trips, and traveling programs with the Museum, or wish to do so in the future.
- Request must indicate how the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery, SunWatch Indian Village/Archaeological Park and/or Fort Ancient Earthworks and Nature Preserve will be acknowledged.
- Priority will be given to organizations/events that match our mission by fitting into one of the following categories:
- Wildlife conservation
- Environmental conservation and protection
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education
- Archaeological, anthropological, geological, paleontological or biological preservation or research
- Family/community welfare
Click here to request a donation.
FIELD TRIPS & GROUP VISITS
The Boonshoft Museum understands the needs of teachers in our area. Whether you are a public, private, or homeschool educator, the Museum’s programs are designed to provide a high-quality learning experience for students while maintaining the fun, hands-on atmosphere that makes out-of-the-classroom learning so enjoyable. All programs are aligned to Academic Content Standards and most include preliminary and post-visit activities.
Schedule a Basic Field Trip/Group Visit
Review field trip pricing and policies below, then book your program online or by phone!
SUBMIT A FIELD TRIP REQUEST FORM or call 937.275.7431, ext. 125 to begin scheduling your visit today!
E-mail Education@BoonshoftMuseum.org or contact the Boonshoft Museum Education Department 937–275–7431, ext. 125 to speak directly to our friendly staff.
Want more options? Explore other programs and classes.
Field Trip Fees & Policies
*Please note that the individual scheduling your visit will receive a packet, unless otherwise specified, confirming your reservation approximately one month prior to your visit. Please call immediately if you are unable to keep your scheduled reservation. Note that there is no refund for cancellations made less than 14 days prior to scheduled visit. See our Group Visit Policies (below) for complete details about payment, chaperones, and cancellation fees.
Field Trip Pricing
Group Admission/Field Trip
Cost: $9 per person
Gain access to all Museum exhibits including Science On a Sphere®, the Discovery Zoo, and public planetarium shows in the Caryl D. Philips Space Theater (based on seating availability; no reserve seating).
Private Workshop or Program (choose 1)
Cost: $10 per person
Choose your own adventure! Select one of our many workshops guided by an experienced educator OR a Science Theater show OR a private planetarium experience. This stand-alone option does not include general museum access.
VIEW a complete listing of workshops, in-Museum classes, and planetarium shows.
Group Admission + Private Workshop or Program (choose 1)
Cost: $12 per person
Get the best of both worlds! Students learn in a small-group setting during an exclusive workshop or program, PLUS experience all that the museum has to offer throughout your visit.
VIEW a complete listing of workshops, in-Museum classes, and planetarium shows.
Group Visit Policies
For ALL Group Visits/Field Trips:
- Two (2) adults are required for every ten (10) students and will be admitted free. Additional adults may participate at the general group admission rate.
- Field Trips must be scheduled at least two (2) weeks prior to your actual visit.
- Two adults at least 18 years of age are required for every ten (10) students and are admitted free. Other adult visitors are charged at the group admission rate.
- Adults are expected to accompany and supervise the students at all times while at the Museum.
- You MUST bring cash, check, purchase order, or MasterCard/Visa with you on the day of your visit. Coupons and other discounts are not valid for educational programs.
- All groups must arrive on time. If you arrive later than your scheduled time, your program may be shortened or canceled to meet Museum schedules.
- Cancellations are due in writing no less than two business days before your program. Please email your cancellation notice to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellations within two business days are subject to pay 50% of the reservation. No-shows are subject to pay 100% of the reservation. You will be invoiced. Cancellations due to weather must call 937. 275.7431 ext. 125 as soon as possible prior to your visit to cancel without penalty. Self-guided tours are not subject to cancellation fees, but please let us know if you are not coming.
Groups may bring packed lunches to the Museum and reserve our eating facilities at no additional charge.
Lunch times MUST BE SCHEDULED prior to your visit. Space is very limited! Lunches are 30 minutes in length unless otherwise indicated; groups will not be permitted to eat lunch at the facility unless arrangements are made in advance, and groups are required to clean their lunch area before leaving. Cleaning supplies are provided by the Museum. All groups are subject to a $25 custodial fee for incomplete cleanup. See confirmation letter for details.
All groups are encouraged to take advantage of our PreShopping Souvenirs Program. This is an easy, convenient way for students to make purchases from the Discoveries Shop without spending additional time shopping. See confirmation letter for details. Groups with 30 students or less are welcome to shop on-site if the group has pre-scheduled a shopping experience at least one week in advance. Ten students accompanied by two adults are permitted in the store at one time. Each group of ten students requires an addition of 10 minutes to your other scheduled activities. Please remind all shoppers that tax is charged at the register.
Ready to Book?
To schedule a weekday Field Trip, please call 937.275.7431, ext. 125 or submit an inquiry form.
Advance Group Sales for Weekends
$90 for a minimum of 12 people, plus $9 per additional person
- Members and children under 3 years of age are admitted free of charge. Must present current member cards or ID at the time of admission.
- Two (2) free chaperone tickets per ten (10) paid admissions. (Note that this is the 12 person minimum.)
- Admission from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Groups must schedule check-in time at booking.
- Whole museum access.
- Must be scheduled and paid 2 weeks in advance. Drop-in groups must pay regular admission rates at the Guest Services Desk.
- Must pay booking fee in advance: a minimum of ten (10) paid admissions, plus any room or program reservations, in full.
- Additional admissions must be paid upon arrival to the museum by the client in one payment, less any free admissions. Individuals cannot pay for admission separately at the advance rate.
The Bieser Room of Wonders
See Us on YouTube
Our New Cafe’ is coming Soon
Behind the Scenes | Rocks (with the Rock)
Boonshoft at Home | Egyptian Mummification